Dear Friends and Colleagues,
The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS) looks forward to welcoming everyone to the ASCRS 2022 Annual Scientific Meeting
(Meeting) scheduled to be held in person from April 30 – May 4, 2022 in Tampa, Florida.
We wish to share our rationale for proceeding with the Meeting in person, and to address our current safety practices for the Meeting.
Rationale for In-Person Meeting
The decision to proceed with the Meeting in person was made only after carefully considering our attendees’ familiarity with the realities of COVID, the widespread availability of high-quality face coverings and vaccines, the interests of our members and our organization, and the emerging science regarding COVID. We also considered, and are encouraged by, other large societies’ in-person meetings over the last 2 years proceeding without significant outbreaks. We are confident we can also host a successful meeting and start to reestablish the social connections that make ASCRS a treasured society.
ASCRS is adopting certain practices consistent with Florida law regarding COVID screening procedures designed to minimize the risk of an outbreak at the Meeting. Because public health guidelines and restrictions may change prior to the Meeting, our safety practices may likewise change.
Unforeseen Events and Registration Reimbursement
- Vaccination and Testing
- We strongly recommend everyone attending the Meeting be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID. Vaccination is our best defense against serious COVID related illness.
- Regardless of vaccination status, all attendees are strongly encouraged to take a COVID test prior to attending the Meeting. ASCRS will provide a comprehensive list of facilities offering rapid antigen and PCR testing near the Meeting.
- Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 prior to the Meeting must not attend. In addition, anyone who develops symptoms of COVID during the Meeting must leave the Meeting and avoid returning unless they obtain a negative test result.
- Convention Center and Hotels
- We encourage universal use of N95, KN95 and surgical masks while attending the Meeting, including all social events. ASCRS will provide KN95 masks at the Registration desk on-site at the Tampa Convention Center.
- Seating capacity will be reduced in conference rooms to ensure social distancing. Attendees are encouraged to leave space between seats in meeting rooms.
- Hand sanitization stations will be placed throughout the Meeting’s venues.
- We will refund the registration fees paid to ASCRS without penalty should registrants choose not to attend the in-person Meeting. As such, there is no need to delay registering for the Meeting!
- Should you wish to cancel your registration, we ask that you notify ASCRS for a full refund.
- It will be your responsibility to cancel all travel arrangements including hotel and airline reservations. ASCRS is not responsible for refund of costs associated with travel.
We appreciate your attention to the foregoing practices designed to help us all enjoy a safe and successful meeting.
We are excited about the amazing scientific content at the Meeting, and even more excited to reconnect with friends and colleagues in person.
If you have any questions, please contact ASCRS Customer Service at (847) 607-6410 or via email at: [email protected]
Thomas E. Read, MD, FACS, FASCRS
ASCRS President 2021-2022