There are 14 Advisory Councils of surgical specialties within the American College of Surgeons. The Advisory Council for Colon and Rectal Surgery
consists of representatives from the Board of Regents and two specialty societies—American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and Colon and Rectal Program Directors Association; one representative from the Board of Governors; and two representatives from the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery. Within the past several years, with the support of the College’s Board of Regents, the Advisory Council has begun to serve an expanded role within the College.
This year over 400 session submissions were reviewed for inclusion in ACS’s 2021 Clinical Congress. The Advisory Council for Colon and Rectal Surgery submitted 12 proposals and had seven accepted. The Advisory Council for Colon and Rectal Surgery is also co-sponsors on five other sessions, resulting in 12 colon and rectal sessions at the upcoming Annual Clinical Congress. The Advisory Council also sponsors and selects the speaker for the Abcarian Lectureship. The colon and rectal surgery sessions are some of the best attended year over year with some sessions having more than 1,000 attendees at each meeting. Many of the moderators, co-moderators and speakers are Fellows of ASCRS.
Submitted and Accepted by Advisory Council for Colon and Rectal Surgery:
Co-Sponsored and Accepted Sessions:
- Colorectal Anastomotic Leaks: Prevention, Early Detection and Novel Treatments
- Pilonidal Disease: Go Big or Go Small?
- Diverticulitis: Real Life Decisions for Real Life Cases
- "I Want My Stoma Closed": Optimal Evaluation, Timing and Performance of Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: The Surgeons Role in the Multidisciplinary Management
- Management of Anorectal Disease
- Clostridium Difficile Colitis: What Every Surgeon Should Know
- The Difficult Stoma: How to Manage and Create a Safe and Functional Stoma in Challenging Circumstances (Young Fellows)
- Total Neoadjuvant Therapy for Rectal Cancer: Watch and Wait (Young Fellows)
- Emergency Surgical Diseases of the Colon (General Surgery)
- Management of Severe Gastrointestinal Bleeding (General Surgery)
- Treatment of Rectal Cancer in the Community (Board of Governors Surgical Care Delivery Workgroup)