The members of the ASCRS Awards Committee are essential contributors to the annual meeting. The Awards Committee evaluates all of the scientific presentations for scientific merit, study design, conclusions, timeliness and clarity of presentation. Committee members meet daily during the Annual Meeting and attend all scientific and Quick Shot sessions to evaluate each presentation. Committee members find this a time-intensive but invaluable experience in rigorous evaluation of scientific data.
Abstracts are graded by the following criteria:
- Creative Approach and/or Novel Idea
- Good Study Design
- Conclusions Sound
- Significant Impact on Colorectal Surgery (clinical or significant research contribution)
- Organized Pesentation/Good Slides
- Well Defended in Discussion
- Publishable in a Peer-Reviewed Journal
Best Paper Award
The recipient of this award will attend the Annual Meeting of the European Society of Coloproctology in Barcelona, Spain, September 22 - 24, 2021.
The ASCRS Barton Hoexter, MD, Best Video Award
After the videos have been slotted by the Program Committee, the links to the selected videos are given to the Awards Committee to review and select the Best Video. The recipient of this award presents their video during the Abstract Video Session on Monday, May 2, 2022.
The recipient of this award will attend the Annual Meeting of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland in Harrogate 2021.
Other ASCRS Awards
The ASCRS Public Relations Committee Chair presents the following awards at the Welcome and Opening Announcements:
David Jagelman, MD, Award
This award is named for Dr. David Jagelman, whose advocacy for his patients at the Cleveland Clinic is legendary. The award is for advocacy in colorectal cancer. Individuals or organizations must be currently active in their outreach for colorectal cancer advocacy.
2019 winner: The Colon Club
2018 winner: Blue Hat Foundation
2017 winner: Kiel Colon Cancer Foundation
Local Hero Award
This award is given to a person in the geographic area near the Annual Meeting who has been affected by a colorectal disease and has contributed to the local community through advocacy or public outreach efforts.
2020 winner: Amy Ennis
2019 winner: Jim Semonik
2018 winner: Manny Cuevas
2017 winner: Doug Dallman
Colorectal Regional Society Awards
The following awards are chosen by the ASCRS Awards Committee during the annual meeting and announced shortly thereafter. Each recipient will be given a plaque and a $500 award from the Regional Society sponsoring the award. Awards are given for the best basic science or clinical paper presented from the podium or as an Quick Shot.
ASCRS appreciates the continued support of the Regional Societies and appreciates the opportunity to highlight these outstanding presentations.
- Chesapeake Colorectal Society Award (Basic Science/ePoster/Quick Shot)
- Michigan Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award (Clinical/Podium)
- New Jersey Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award (Basic Science/ ePoster/Quick Shot)
- Northwest Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award (Clinical/Podium)
- Piedmont Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award (Clinical/Podium)
- The Canadian Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Award (Surgical Resident/Podium)
- The Chicago Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Durand Smith, MD, Award (Basic Science/Podium)
- The New England Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Award (Clinical/Podium)
- The Ohio Valley Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Award (Clinical/Podium)
- The Pennsylvania Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Award (Clinical/ePoster/Quick Shot)
- Southern California Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award (Clinical/Quick Shot)